Sunday, June 30, 2013

sunday night

Trying to prep a profile for a job finding website and having issues. I do not want to be rambling and incoherent. That's what this blog is for.

But yeah, trying to focus on it, but it is sort of bothering me with every edit. Need to convey technical expertise, can't point to a concrete example of ... buzz words ... not sure if that matters.

here is what I wrote so far, but Im thinking of just restarting based on the examples.

What projects have you worked on?

Developed risk management software which integrated data from multiple trading platform APIs, as well as multiple clearing firms, and proprietary data sources. Project included databases, Windows GUI programming, COM/OLE,
In the past I developed a number of websites primarily using Drupal and some custom modules.


Any technical challenges you've overcome?

I know that I have had some complicated technical issues, but I am not sure what level of detail conveys that. Debugging multi-threaded code can be challenging. Some times the most challenging part of shipping a new version is the realization that the MSDN documentation is not correct, at least with a given codebase and included libraries. Sometimes digging through layers of include files to realize why something isn't quite right is the challenge. A database redesign can be challenging when you are supposed to keep things functional while simultaneously not losing any data. Yeah, I don't know how to specifically answer this.... COM/OLE variants and IDispatches can be a terrible way to spend your day, pointers can be evil, or your best friend, not every library behaves as it should, but rolling your own takes longer than you expect, in the real world just because you've solved a problem once does not mean it is solved forever... and I'm rambling.

"Technical challenges" is a funny term to me. Based on the definition that popped up from Google (Technical: 'Requiring special knowledge to be understood') once you have gained the appropriate knowledge it isn't so much of a challenge, so in my mind gathering the right information is the problem, but saying that the hardest part of my previous jobs was gaining the appropriate knowledge from coworkers is disparaging and not 'technical' by the understanding of the question.

Do you have any personal projects?

Currently working on a personal chrome browser extension to streamline my own internet experience.
I also have a website I'd like to start, but it is music industry related and Id rather not get sued into oblivion so I have hesitated to pursue it.
I've been doing some of the projecteuler.net puzzles, but Im only about 20 into them, and can not say it is a huge priority for me.

What's your philosophy?

That's a loaded question.
Short answer, if we can educate the world most of the problems we face will go away.
My personal philosophy is that the current state of affairs has everybody wanting the world to be fair, and everybody wanting to provide their loved ones with better than fair opportunity, and the average person does not realize why there is a disconnect, so I am trying to work towards the first part without personally sacrificing the second part, while thinking about the third part.

1 comment:

CREcker said...

second attempt going way worse

My life, as it relates to you:

Early life: Math team, continental math program, AMC, AMIA, math olympiad, Math Counts, New England high school programming competition.... scores that earned me some medals/plaques.

College: Leadership roles in a few campus activities, BA and MSE in CS in ~4 years. Courses included networking, databases, computation theory, crypto, discrete math, linear algebra, differential equations, AI, data mining, web agents, compilers, parallel programming.

Since college: Worked for a web development company making websites, worked for a trading firm managing risk and compiling/storing data in a manner that people could use it and it could be formatted easily for compliance with new regulations.

Interests: Education, Information selection/dispersal, complex systems.

Why I left my last job: Included since I figure this will be a topic of conversation. The short answer is that management was (for lack of a better word) consistently using doublespeak. I am trying to remember the exact conversation where the head of IT and I were listening to our COO and both left the conversation and I said, I think I understand what he was saying, but I heard some doublespeak in there and the IT head said something like 'now you know what Ive been dealing with.'
The example that frustrated me especially was with regards to a regulatory compliance procedure we needed to implement. I interviewed our internal experts who gave me bad information, and then when I attempted to correct them based on my own research I was reamed out. I suggested potential improvements to the system that could make it more useful and was shot down, then my suggestion was presented as a task for an outside consultant months later.