Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Funemployed

I'm getting older.

Quit my job due to the fact that it wasn't making me happy.

Looking for new work, but also simultaneously playing with the idea that I could build something worthwhile myself. ... but ... probably need to get into a bigger environment where I can learn and grow proactively.

Just saw this http://sijinjoseph.com/programmer-competency-matrix/ which after reading through is quite excellent. Posted it on facebook and realized nobody cared, but also realized it said to start your own blog with insights. Realized I do not currently have insights. Want to design my own RSS reader because google reader is left in the dust, and not entirely sure 'how I want it'... so its an opportunity to grow. So, Im thinking of currently using this blog as a list of articles / presentations / blogs that I am reading in my funemployment and will eventually turn that list into an aggregation tool for myself.

Unfortunately I have too many ideas, and not enough motivation, I think everybody has this problem, so a great tool would be how to help focus people so we aren't concurrently working on the same things unless working together or attempting different paths towards the same solution ... ie maximize productivity of people who want to be productive. An office space line is brought to mind, then nobody would be a janitor.... but Im specifically thinking of coding, it kind of relates to my website idea. Musicpatrons.com ... blog.musicpatrons.com has some minor info, and Ive tossed ideas out to a lot of people who agree I have some good ideas, but the basic idea is to upset the status quo which is always risky business. and getting anywhere near the music industry is an invitation for lawyers to sue you.... so Ive got all sorts of hesitation regarding it.

Question of how long to stay out of work so I can motivate to do my own things. I did finally get around to writing a simple chrome extension to have some options for reddit filtering, and I am happy with it, obviously Id like to do more, but how much scope creep should I allow myself for a simple project when there is already the reddit enhancement suite, which brings up the bigger, if Im not doing something that is so game changing as to be its own thing why am I spending time reinventing the wheel, which suggests I should go work for a company that I want to help improve their services, but I dont want to jump from company to company, although I guess that is socially acceptable for programmers to some degree, but the bigger question is, where should I get a job, want to be working on something that interests me and benefits society, which sort of points to google as I am a google fanboy and they have the highest distribution of information to the world, ... after some discussion with my friend sunday he suggested khan academy ... as education is really the only thing that matters for improving world situations, but ... education + information you know how that is ... nevermind on to the earlier next paragraph...

Other ideas Id like to work on for myself while Im out of work ... which brings up a point I will now revert to a new previous paragraph for... as youve seen that was rambling, but had a purpose.
javascript RPG,
continue working on chrome extensions
contribute to some open source projects
musicpatrons.com
RSS aggregator / reader

Ill do a writeup of the goals of each of those projects in the near future. Ive been using 750words.com to help clarify my internal thoughts, but since nobody reads my blog I may as well use this as an output to myself and at least feel like they are public ... Im a big all information should be free type of person so why hide behind a curtain in any element of my life.

No comments: