Wednesday, September 25, 2013

version control systems ..

Im reading about bazaar http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/migration/en/why-switch-to-bazaar.html and ... I have very little interest ... and at the same time extreme interest. I wrote a post when google wave came out that basically said I thought the idea of wave would be the ultimate version control system ... obviously something on top of wave not a naive just use this chat system for version control.

but ... over time I have used svn, hg, cvs, git, and now bzr  (just pulling mixxx) ... and it seems relatively asinine. I understand the differences ... but for the most part I dont really care? I guess in some cases different systems would shine, but on the other hand why should I have even heard of five different systems to accomplish basically the same task. I guess I just want ease of use.

For people not into acronyms like myself svn=subversion, hg = mercurial, cvs=content versioning system, git= ... git? (and checking wiki, linus named it after himself, as the pejorative for an unpleasant person, awesome), and bzr=bazaar  ... and after checking wiki to find out why git is thusly named http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_revision_control_software I appreciate that versioning is important, but is it such a complex problem that this many different approaches are needed?

hey we want to solve the problem of how to organize versions ... ok lets all take a different approach and meet back ... isnt going to lead to better organization. and people wonder how data gets lost over time.

No comments: