Thursday, September 19, 2013

postscript to the post I shared on facebook the other day.

I guess this is specifically addressed to the three or four people most likely to take offense to the earlier post....
That blurb was what I wrote as I spilled my guts into a web form about my work experience. It was an unfiltered attempt to explain what I have done over the past 4-5 years framed in a context of why I left my last job and as an explanation to future employers both what I worked on and why it may not be as impressive as it could have been.

A former coworker messaged me to say that it might bother people at my old company and that I should remove the company name at the very least if not take down the entire post. I hesitated to post the blahg initially, and I thought about messaging the people who the messenger suggested may be upset by the post, but I decided that since I was being honest, and had already expressed these feelings and complaints before leaving the company it should not be an issue.

I hope the post did not offend anybody, but I cannot be sure unless people talk with me about it. I've already written that I think the post helped me to clear my head and response from my peers has helped me gain some perspective around the issue, so I cannot say I regret it at this point, but I've not had any negative feedback(beyond this 'warning'), so maybe that is coming down the pipeline. I suppose I shall see.

Also, I do not see how I have done anything wrong. I did not reveal any inside information. I spoke honestly about my experience and I do not believe I defamed or demeaned anybody. However, I do appreciate that there are other perspectives, and my ramblings may come off as excuses and the other side of the coin may not understand how I was effected by the previous goings on, just as I may not understand how they experienced my tenure and departure. I would appreciate personal interaction before anger or some response took hold, but I'm not sure how likely any of that is, but I find myself worrying as a result of this random message of warning.

Alternatively, part of the reason I felt the need to write up a detailed explanation on an application type of form is that I repeatedly heard the refrain from my superiors at my former company that they didn't know what I was doing. So in my mind if they do read my post, Id hope they could walk away from it with more understanding of why I left as opposed to a kneejerk reaction that I was trying to speak ill of the company.  Also, I'd hope they could understand why I felt the need to write this all down and vent to my peer group. And finally Id hope they understand why I've not asked for a detailed recommendation from them outlining my work for the company since it seemed impractical given the management situation.

No comments: