Thursday, September 4, 2008

Where To Begin.

I was born.

I was going to end the post with that, but it reminds me of a philosophical discussion which may impact the rest of this blog, so I shall share it despite losing the nice concise lead in that I had originally hoped for.

When I was in tenth grade the discussion of fate and predetermination versus free will came up. This was related to a number of things, I am sure it had something to do with whatever fairly trivial thing I decided not to take home from the discussion was, but I digress. Fate versus free will. The question of whether the person can be blamed for their circumstances or whether they can cop out and simply say, but it was a product of my birth.

In tenth grade I was a devil's advocate. I was smarter than other people, and people didn't hesitate to tell me that, so I abused people with little minds. I would love to say that I stopped, or that I found fewer little minds at college, but I might be lying. Trends tend to continue and even if you stop noticing them they may have just developed into the status quo.

So I was arguing against my imbecile of a teacher and her teachers pet. My claim was for fate, while their claim was for free will. The example, a man walks into a bank unfortunately during a robbery and gets shot. Their argument was he chose to walk into the bank. My response why did he walk into the bank. now to say that either of these arguments holds water is weak at best, but my point to them was that if you were to trace any decision in this mans life, it could be traced back to where he started, and before his first choice, he was placed somewhere out of his control. Nobody listened to me of course, as the teacher and her pet were arguing for the right side, but my point stands to this very day. The question of why is a very powerful one. The most difficult question, the most pointed question, and by far the most important question.

No comments: